Monday 4 October 2010

Consisting of police raids, nerves and tentacles

Today was a really surreal day, in part due to the deep-fried tentacles that topped my afternoon noodle soup and made me feel like I was in Pirates of the Caribbean. They taste a bit like pork scratchings; quite nice.

I'm not sure of the real reason why today didn't feel like other days, because it ostensibly it was the same as most - teaching, running, eating noodle soup (for all 3 meals - a new personal best), getting lost on my motorbike. It passed in a bit of a sleepy daze and I never felt like I was really there.

Maybe it's because tomorrow I start this new job, and the old comfortable phase is coming to an end, and a scary new phase is beginning. I'm so nervous about it, because this time I think I really might not be up to the challenge. Teaching GCSEs to a class of 26 state schools kids based on no real resources is going to be different to inventing superheroes with a few posh kids at a Saturday school.

I have been constantly to-ing and fro-ing in my mind ever since I got the job about whether I actually want to take it or not. They've dumped me with a load of classes this week even though I haven't left my last job yet, which I plan to turn to my advantage by being characteristically non-committal and disrespectful of contractual obligation - I've told myself that I just have to teach the classes this week, and if I'm as rubbish at it as I think I'm going to be, I don't have to stay, but if I like it, I will stay. I will report back tomorrow as to how it went.

Thoa is currently telling me that the police might come into our house in the night and make me leave because I'm living here illegally. I hope they don't do that, it's raining outside.