Friday 1 April 2011

Hot, enclosed spaces can do funny things to people. One time on a train in Serbia, in ~40 degree heat, I gave Joe one of my nipple hairs, and he made a wish on it as though it were an eyelash. This afternoon, towards the latter end of a 25-hour train journey from Hanoi to Nha Trang, I finally tried the aforementioned and much-debated trứng vịt lộn. A man came round wheeling a trolley, just as they sell cups of tea and KitKats on English trains, but he was selling foetusy duck eggs. I was a bit bored, so we bought three. It was pretty much the same as the quail foetus eggs I tried last time. I made it worse by dissecting the whole thing and inspecting each part before I ate it, as it was too big to swallow whole. Dung did it the Vietnamese way, tapping the top off and scooping out the insides, like a hard-boiled egg. They are genuinely tasty, and I would still rather eat one of these than proper meat, which is always chewy and bony and smelly and makes me feel a bit sick.


this duck foetus i ate


dung sucks out the foetusy insides like a pro The rest of the journey passed quite quickly, in a whirlwind of napping, reading Dostoevsky and looking out the window. Now it is 9pm and we are in the hotel room in Nha Trang. I am waiting to go out, whilst Dung prances around in his Y-fronts, 'exercising'. I will try to keep updating about my travels, but sometimes fun gets in the way.