Sunday 19 June 2011

Adventures in the West

DSC01463

lots of naked people in Trafalgar Square – they were protesting about something, but despite the exuberant mass nudity and little willies perched on bike seats, none of them ever made it very clear what they were protesting about.

DSC01464

Covent Garden

On Saturday, I had a fun night out at the Royal Operah House, as you do, and then caught the long scenic train down the south coast to Falmouth, right down on the pointy bit of Cornwall, where my young son Goob resides. Cornwall is full of fun things to see and do, like cider and rocks.

DSC01483

Goob proudly surveys her domain

DSC01484

DSC01488

Gina, Goob and Shorty

My first couple of nights here were mainly focused on the important task of rediscovering cider, and rum, and Weapons Grade ginger beer, and other good things, which meant that the days were focused on sleeping and eating. However, a headache drove us to the beach for a recuperative brisk sea walk, which turned into a fascinating wildlife discovery, and which was much more fun than melting in bed. We saw loads of baby seals playing together right near the coast, which was fucking cool, as I have never seen wild seals before and didn’t even know that they lived in Cornwall. There were several big birds of prey, and I sat in a ladybird nest. We went home and ate Thai curry.

DSC01500

DSC01509

The next day we drove to somewhere where I didn’t know where we were, but Nolly was there, and we went swimming in the sea, there was another seal and some mussels, I got bitten by a weaver fish, and it was ace. We went home and ate Indian curry.

Yesterday we completed our wildlife adventures by driving to The Lizard, which is the name for the skinny bit of land right at the south of the pointy bit at the end of Cornwall, culminating in the MOST SOUTHERLY POINT IN THE WHOLE OF ENGLAND!! We went for another brisk coastal walk, and saw something that might have been a sea lion or it might have been another seal. I’m going for sea lion. They also often have 11m long basking sharks here, but we didn’t see any. And we sat by the nesting site of a bird called a clough. This was a very cool trip; I don’t know why it’s so exciting to be right at the extreme of somewhere, but I found it very thrilling.

DSC01519

a tourist standing at the most southerly place in England !!!

DSC01521

ice cream faces

DSC01523

some rocks

DSC01525

some cormorants and some SHAGS sitting on a rock

DSC01527

a beached whale

Friday morning there were big explosions and fires at Falmouth docks! But I don’t really know much about it except that I got woken up by a really noisy siren, and that some men in high-viz jackets said I couldn’t run where I would otherwise run. Then we went to see some arty degree show things, and went to a sea shanty festival. Yesterday we came to Fred’s house in Bristol, where I am now blogging, and soon we drive to Glastonbury.