Tuesday 17 May 2011

Frogs, chai and a golden Buddha

 

Luang Prabang is my new favourite city. It’s chilled-out, beautiful and unspoilt (from the centre of town you can see across the river to jungle and traditional stilt-house villages). There’s loads of things to do (boat trips, waterfalls, night markets, temples, art galleries, cooking classes...) and there’s loads of places to do nothing (I have a new favourite tea&bookshop – many happy hours spent with chai and Milan Kundera on floor cushions). It’s got a modern, fashionable vibe (upmarket shops, bars and restaurants by the river), but it still feels authentically Lao (the shops stock hand-woven Lao silk, and young novice monks wander the streets, collecting alms or riding bicycles). It’s big on eco-tourism (encouraging a considerate approach to the local customs and making sure your money goes to the right causes). The Lao people are friendly and relaxed (which sets it apart from its closest comparison, Hoi An – the Vietnamese are friendly but they’re anything but relaxed) and the Lao food is amazing (like Thai food but with more sticky rice and better coffee). Basically, it’s perfect.

DSC01160

temple on Phou Si

DSC01166

naturally-dyed silk thread

DSC01170

lady weaving

DSC01157

monks’ robes hanging out to dry

DSC01174

I put my shoes on after a rainstorm, but after a minute or two of walking one was uncomfortable so I took it off, and this frog hopped out. he seemed unharmed although understandably shaken. his name is Toad.

DSC01182

what there’s not enough of in my life – waterfalls. this one was multi-tier.

DSC01188

view from the top of the waterfall

DSC01189

my shoes came swimming too because they were very smelly and had had frogs sleeping in them

DSC01191

more sun bears!

DSC01194

bears sharing (fighting over) a hammock

DSC01203

floating petrol station

DSC01211

some naked children

DSC01220

sunset cruise. that’s not me smoking, although her name is laura. I was called rejey to avoid confusion :)

DSC01229

I love this photo so I made it bigger than the others

DSC01236

this boat trip was the best thing ever, it made my heart swell up like I was in a rubbish poem